Simple things to do to get out of the 4th wave
We all want to get back to life as we know it and we now have the best chance of getting there. Our province has passed the peak of the fourth wave, but we are not out of it just yet.
We are currently seeing an average of 2200 new cases of COVID-19 each day, and although this is declining, we all need to play our part. Based on the modelling prediction, we need to reach 600 new cases per day based on the seven-day-moving average for the province to have exited the fourth wave.
For us to get out of the fourth wave here are a few simple things we can do which will not disrupt our daily routine:
- Don’t wait. Vaccinate
- Vaccination is our best protection against severe COVID-19 and return to a more normal life.
- COVID-19 vaccines are safe and save lives.
- They may not prevent you from getting COVID-19, but they will protect you against severe COVID-19.
- Everyone 12 years and older can get the vaccine.
- Booster doses are also available to people who have received the J&J vaccine two months ago and the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine six months ago.
- There are several fixed sites and a number of pop-up sites and outreaches available which takes vaccination closer to where you live. Be on the lookout for them in your area, mall, or shopping centre and even at car washes. The weekly list of sites can be found on our social media channels.
- Mask up!
- A well-fitting mask can reduce your chances of getting COVID-19.
- If you have COVID-19 or do not even know you have COVID-19, a mask can reduce your chances of spreading it to other people.
- Show you care – wear your mask and protect yourself and others.
- Avoid crowds
- Keep your gatherings short, small and outside.
- Keep a physical distance from others.
- And always remember to wear your mask.
Coronavirus spreads through the air when people breathe, talk, cough, sing or shout so we can protect ourselves by:
- Keeping gatherings small, short and outdoors.
- Making sure you have as much fresh air as possible indoors.
- Showing symptoms?
Assume you have COVID-19 even if you don’t test.
- If you are sick, stay at home.
- Stay separate from others in your home. If you can’t, wear a mask and open doors and windows to ensure plenty of fresh air.
Go to hospital immediately if you develop:
- Difficulty breathing
- Chest pain or pressure that won’t go away
- Can’t wake up completely
If we work together, we can exit the fourth wave while keeping each other safe. Vaccinate. Let’s do this!